Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz

I am not even going to try to upload a picture of this epic musical because even though a picture says a thousand words, they are not enough to describe the magnificence of this piece of art.

Wicked: The Untold Story of the Witches of Oz is a prequel of the L. Frank Baum's successful children's book, Wizard of Oz.  The musical tells the story from the perspective of Elphaba who we've come to know as the Wicked Witch of the West. The piece details her life as a school girl and how she became friends with Ga-linda, as the character snobbishly emphasizes, who we've come to know as Glinda The Good. To not give it all away, the musical provides an in-depth look at how someone can become wicked and it also relates to the world at large in that it questions how people see the "truth."

The different elements and emotions are not the only things that are amazing about this musical. Aside from this, are the costumes, the set, the songs and most of all the script and how each line was delivered to entertain.

Ally Mauze as Glinda, the rich, snobby rich girl who bullies Elphaba is ridiculously hilarious. She has so much energy and she glows with joy throughout the whole performance. And it's not only because the spotlight is on her. The way she delivers her lines by dragging out the syllables or whispering or all the other shenanigans she was doing was so entertaining that I could not stop laughing or smiling like a stupid fool.

Did I mention the songs were amazing? Well that is a huge understatement. The songs completely wiped out any misconceptions I had about attending a musical again. The vocals were on point and the beats of the song were awe inspiring, with every beat fitting the scene and the actions of the characters. The vocals combined with the amazing set and the cast with their wonderful green costumes, were completely earth shattering in such a good way.

For the whole musical I just kept saying wow, then laughing, then smiling, then crying and finally shaking my head at the miraculous things I have just seen. I don't think there is a high enough award that could dare to judge this small piece of God. I feel like angels came down to make me laugh and sing me sweet songs that at times made my heart race while at other times made me laugh or want to get up and dance.

I want to make very clear that aside from Hairspray, I have never seen a musical. Hairspray was only entertaining because Alexa Vega was playing Penny. Yet, this time around I am astonished by what a good writer, composer and cast is capable of producing.

I watch a lot of films and Korean dramas but I declare in this particular moment that I will never, even if I were to be reborn, be able to compare any work of fiction to what this beautiful musical I have just seen. My only regret is not having the words to describe how moved and amazed I was by this work and the only sad thing about this great experience is that I am left only with the cruel, fading memories that are rapidly slipping away.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the companies who own the rights to the media or products I review in any way. This blog is used to voice my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of anyone else.