Saturday, November 2, 2013

Master's Sun Korean Drama Review



I may be a little late but as promised this will be a review of the wonderful ghost drama Master's Sun. As you may have noticed, if you are a Korean drama fan, this year has been the year for medical dramas and ghost dramas while last year was the year of revenge dramas and time traveling dramas.

Well the trend of this year starts with Master's Sun as well as Who Are You? with Ok Taecyeon from 2PM. Who Are You? was a little bit dull but still entertaining while Master's Sun was an addiction that I had no desire to get rid of. 

Master's Sun stars So Ji Sub as Joo Joong Won, the typical CEO of a department store chain that is usually seen in dramas from the Hong sisters. Joo Joong Won is a traumatized kidnapping victim that is filled with hate as he thinks his girlfriend from the other side of the tracks was involved in his kidnapping. 

L from Infinite as young Joo Joong Won
                                          


What really traumatized him was watching as the car exploded and she died in front of his eyes while her accomplice got away with the crime and his 11 million dollar necklace. 

All of this happened when he was a teen, but just like the ghosts that haunt our heroine, Joong Won's past is something that still haunts him in his adult life...LITERALLY.



Now it's present time and he meets our heroine Tae Gong Shil (Gong Hyo Jin) whose name means Sun and Joong Won is the master hence "Master's Sun. " Gong Shil is a paranoid ghost whisperer with a "Jesus Love Me" nightgown that hardly sleeps due to all the ghosts scaring and stalking her at every turn. 

In true romantic fashion she meets our hero in the rain after he gives her a ride. Or better yet his sympathetic chauffeur gives her a ride after he splashed her with water. Joong Won is annoyed but lets her get in. 



The fun starts when Gong Shil realizes that touching Joong Won makes the ghosts disappear. Even though all the skinship annoys Joong Won at first (or maybe never) he agrees to allow her to do that in exchange for her finding the whereabouts of  his 11 million dollar necklace from his dead girlfriend Cha Hee Joo, who has been following him around in her ghost form with a pathetic expression for who knows how long. 

While the plot of the drama revolves around the mystery of Hee Joo's involvement, the most fun I had was watching Joong Won help Gong Shil carry out the requests of the ghosts. 

While originally I started watching because of Seo In Gook, who plays a hot and bad ass body guard, I stayed for this couple. I stayed for their amazing chemistry and the way they made me laugh with their antics. 


The picture above perfectly shows the awesomeness of this drama. Gong Shil  can see ghosts but she also gets POSSESSED by them when she's drunk or unconscious, which is why the girl barely sleeps.  

In the second picture she's a cat, while in the third she's a French femme fatale. Suffice it to say, the girl is hilarious and Joong Won's Keojyeo's (get lost) kept me rolling on the floor for the whole show. 

The Good

The chemistry between the characters was amazing. I also love that the ghosts were actually scary and that brought a dark element to the comedy. 


I also liked that unlike Secret Garden there wasn't a magical solution for Gong Shil's condition at the end of the drama, which I think shows the growth in her character. Instead of being able to just forget about all the ghosts, she was able to embrace her condition and finally believe that it was a good thing and that she deserved to be happy as well. 

And what I like the most is the dialogue. The Hong Sisters have the amazing talent of making a conversation quick and witty. I am always entertained with her dramas and I'm not only excited with the dialogue between the main couple but with the other side characters as well. 

Now for the bad...

The Bad

As I mentioned, the main reason why the main couple gets together is to solve the mystery of Joong Won's kidnapping. I won't give it away but honestly is what you would expect from a drama. I wouldn't have cared about how left field it was if there had been anticipation or edge-of-your-seat excitement, but by the time the mystery was solved no one cared and the main conflict had become whether Gong Shil would leave Joong Won for his own good or not.

Then on top of everything some random guy shows up and tells Gong Shil that he was her guide when she was between life and death and that he can see ghosts too and at that point I just started zoning off whenever he came on the screen. 

In my opinion, any character who arrives in the drama two episodes before it's supposed to end does not deserve my attention or consideration because we all know how it will end. 

However, I would like to say that I truly enjoyed this drama. It was funny, romantic and sad. There were so many cases of children being abused that I was crying through most episodes and I love when I can feel a lot of different emotions when watching a drama.

So...

Watch it because you want to laugh, you want to see funny characters who are also incredibly human but also unreal in their supernatural way. See it for the chemistry that was like electricity touching your fingertips. Watch because it is a light and fun way to spend your nights after a hard day at life. 




Please stay tuned for my review of Secret, a drama I'm sure is gonna become my favorite of all time. Ji Sung, Fighting!







2 comments:

  1. the writer is not kim eun sook, but hong sisters :D kim eun sook is the writer of secret garden and Heirs :) I like kim eun sook because like you said, the she write the dialog is very interesting, but I like hong sister more for their writing, which is more endearing, also the way they use metaphors is just very awesome! :) btw, thanks for the review, I like it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for pointing that out. I often confuse them because their rapid and intelligent dialogue is so similar. Also, thanks for reading!

      Delete

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the companies who own the rights to the media or products I review in any way. This blog is used to voice my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of anyone else.