Sunday, May 12, 2019

Movie (SPOILER) Review: Avengers: ENDGAME

Image result for avengers endgame

The hype for this movie was extremely high and as someone who had seen every single Marvel film multiple times, I was one of the ones screaming at every scene. However, after your emotions wind down and you start to analyze the film, you begin to see its major flaws. I won't do a play by play of every scene, but I will point out five flaws or plot holes that the film had that made me enjoy it less once I calmed down.

1. SJW Agenda

Image result for valkyrie on pegasus
Clearly there was one and the Russos did a great job not making the film about it, but Kevin Feige clearly had other ideas. The scene where all the girls are together backing Captain Marvel made me eye roll so hard. My eyes rolled because they turned the scene between Black Widow, Okoye and Scarlet Witch in Infinity War into something about female power when in reality it was about three women who respected each other's strengths and the fact that they could help each other.

This, unfortunately, was not the only scene. At the end of the film, we have a black Captain America, Thor goes off into the galaxy leaving the Asgardians to be ruled by a black woman, and Iron Man dies to make way presumably for Captain Marvel or Shuri. Black Widow dies, replacing one of the only female characters that I loved. A woman who does not need to shove the fact that she is a badass down everybody's throats, but who demonstrates it every time she's in combat.

That being said, I don't mind black characters or female characters. I do mind when their color or sex overshadows the character because it makes the film about a political agenda and not about the story.
I hope that in the next phase they handle these characters taking on their new mantles well and that Marvel focuses more on storytelling and not on fulfilling a diversity quota. I'm all for original black comic book characters to be included in the universe, but I'm against token characters that are only there because black people keep complaining about representation in a country that is 60 percent white.

2. HULK 

The Hulk clearly doesn't get the arc that he deserves in this film. My hope continues to be that they flesh out the character development in future stories, but I won't be holding my breath.

Bruce Banner clearly has some issues to work out with the Hulk as we see he has difficulty shifting in Infinity War. Then in Endgame we have a time jump and everything was solved off screen. That is simply bad storytelling. I am one of the ones who was looking forward to seeing how he would solve this problem. I thought that maybe Tony would play a part in helping him or that he would experiment on himself or come to a big epiphany that would serve to fix everything, but alas, nothing.

I feel betrayed by how Marvel just skipped over this and I realize the movie was so long, but I honestly would have preferred for it to be longer and for everything to have been resolved better. His reaction to Natasha's death was almost non-existent and it was really a disgrace. He loved that woman and he just throws a bench? Really?!

3. Pym Particle

So in the movie Nebula has one Pym particle to go back to 2023 and she gives it to Thanos. The audience is meant to presume that she used the Pym particle and that Thanos somehow duplicated it in order to bring his entire army into the future. So you're telling me that Ebony Maw is such a genius that he can recreate only something Hank Pym was able to make on Earth and something for which he had no previous knowledge that it was even possible?

Image result for skeptical kid meme origin
Yeah, okay.

4. The Infinity Stones

The Ancient One clearly says that if the stones do not exist then it would greatly impact reality and the universe would be attacked. Clearly Thanos destroyed the stones and for five years the Avengers haven't faced any threats. So what happened?

The film sets rules for the stones and then throws them out the window. People may argue that Thanos just reduced them to atoms, but the film doesn't specify what would be effects of them being reduced to atoms. And what about when the heroes took them from their respective timelines to use them? What happened to those realities? Again, I can only hope that this is addressed in future films, which it looks to me Spider-Man: Far from Home will do.

5. Parallelism between Tony's arc and Thanos' arc

The biggest reason Thanos was able to succeed in Infinity War was his ability to sacrifice his daughter for his cause. He never hesitated even though it hurt. I think having Tony face the same choice would have improved the film even more. The Avengers lost because all of them were willing to sacrifice themselves, but not others. While we want our heroes to be better, someone did have to be sacrificed anyway and I think Tony having to struggle with that decision would have been a great way to relate his character back to Thanos.

Some great things about the film

Black Widow was one of the few female characters I liked in this franchise, but I think she had a decent send-off. This was her redemption after having been betrayed by Hydra and having realized that she had been working for the bad guy for a long time. Here we see her sacrifice herself for the first man who saw good in her and who saw what she could become and I don't think there would have been a better way to send her off.

I loved that Cap got to stay behind with Peggy. This was predicted by many people, but I still loved that scene. Cap was always so aimless and a man out of time. His life seemed like an endless battle and so I'm glad he decided to rest and have his happily ever after like he always wanted.

The payoff for that line in Avengers is amazing. " You're not the guy to make the sacrifice play," said Cap to Tony and it came back to bite him. The role reversal of Iron Man sacrificing his life and Captain American making the selfish choice of staying behind made the movie for me. They are the most beloved characters and they both went out honorably.

The random kid (Harley) at the funeral. I loved Harley in Iron Man 3 and if it's not Spider-Man, I would love for him to take up the mantle of Iron Man. I think they had a lot of things in common like feeling abandoned by their dads and I would love to see more of Harley and how he handles Iron Man's death and what he's been up to all these years with all that tech that Tony left behind for him.

Overall, the film tied up some loose ends nicely, but I am forever hopeful that they develop the characters we love a bit more.

Image result for Avengers 2012


No comments:

Post a Comment

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with any of the companies who own the rights to the media or products I review in any way. This blog is used to voice my own opinion and does not reflect the opinion of anyone else.